November 24, 2012

Desperate Times

My boyfriend, Will, and I were supposed to buy a used car yesterday that we found on Craigslist. I had talked the owner down from $750 to $650 via email (I had to make sure we could afford it before we asked someone for a ride out of town to test drive it). Will's unemployment check was delayed a day because of Thanksgiving, so I emailed the owner and said if our money cleared today that I'd call and make an appointment to see the car. 

Well, his money did clear.... but he didn't get all of it. You see, the Florida unemployment office has been withholding 40% out of each bi-weekly check for old court fees from years and years ago. Those fees should've all been paid two weeks ago, but I guess my numbers were wrong or their system doesn't automatically update (my money's on the latter). I emailed the unemployment office but we won't hear back from them until Wednesday. 

The good news is that Will was called back into work starting this Wednesday, but the bad news is that he has no transportation to get there. His shift starts an hour before city buses even run, and our city (the county seat) doesn't have it's own taxi service so other nearby city cabs want a minimum of $20 just to pick us up! Screw that. We've been giving my mom and his brother gas money to do things like grocery shop and wash laundry, but the inevitable cabin fever has set in. 

We've been without wheels for 5 weeks now. That's unacceptable to me, but I've always been very independent. I hate having to ask for help. Will's the same way, but he hates seeing me so sad and depressed. I think that's why he posted THIS AD on Craigslist earlier today. I even posted a link to the ad on Facebook and Twitter hoping to bring in more jewelry sales so we could buy that car. No luck so far, even though I did sell some beads in a Tophatter auction earlier today. 

We're still $110 short to buy that car. I'm not asking for a cash handout; I'm asking you to consider my Etsy shop when buying holiday gifts. If 5-6 people can each buy one thing before Tuesday we can get that car, Will can go back to work, and I can remember what it's like to smile.


4 comments:

  1. The kitty eyes are a nice touch. ;-) Gonna take a look at your shop...anxious to see what you've got. I'm addicted to Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christy. I'm a cat person, so I figured it was better to find a photo of a sad cat instead of posting my sad mug online. I sure hope you find something you like in my Etsy shop! I do custom orders, too. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought a bracelet for a Christmas Gift, hopefully that will help a little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Gari Anne, every sale helps! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete