April 9, 2013

Getting the Word Out

As most of you know from my previous post, I am now in the process of writing my first book. My mind has been overwhelmed with fantastic ideas that I have been trying to keep up with. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about an art project!

This week I started to get the word out about postcard submissions and how other artists and crafters can be a part of my book. I have posted links on Facebook and Twitter, emailed blog writers, and contacted my old art teachers. I am giving everyone 5 months to complete and send in their postcards. I can't wait to receive the first one! 

I got an email back from Mr. Bridges today, my old art teacher at Harrison Arts Center. I attended high school there with a concentration in visual arts. I asked him to use my book as a school project for his current students and he said yes. Actually, he said "absolutely" in all caps, which just made my day! I wonder if he will send one in himself, too. 

I am still waiting to hear back from Corrinne at Pin & Tack. I used to be a guest blog writer for her. I would write for her once a month about the day in the life of a jewelry artist, which seemed to be popular. I asked her if I could write a one-time guest blog post about my new book and possibly get postcard submissions from her and her readers. She has a large blog following. 

The other big email I sent out was to Megan at Katie at Tophatter. Up until recently, I was a live auction host for Tophatter. I would frequent the handmade and artisan jewelry auctions to welcome newbies, cheer on sellers, and help liven up the auction rooms. It was a lot of fun! 

Tophatter has a blog called The Monocle & Moustache where sellers can share their success stories, DIY craft tips are given, and much more. 

Wait... I just checked my email and I had a reply from Megan at Tophatter. She said she's very interested and sent me a list of questions for the blog interview. Oh, this is just fantastic! Let's see, I will have to wait until after work tonight (every artist needs a day job until they make it big) to reply to her email. 

I have a few other things in the works as far as channels I've reached out to about my postcard book. I have Sunday and Monday off this coming week so I am hoping to start the cover art for the book. The cover will be my postcard and the back of the book will look like the flip side of a postcard. Neat, right? My sister Jennifer helped me brainstorm that one. 

You can click on the "Postcard Entry Info" link at the top of this page for info on how to submit your work. Please share the link with anyone you think would be interested. Thanks!  


 


No comments:

Post a Comment